Mallinckrodt partners with the Patient Safety Movement Foundation to help eliminate preventable deaths in hospitals
Medical errors are now the third leading cause of death in the United States
According to the Institute of Medicine, medical errors are quickly becoming a leading cause of death and injury to people across the globe. More than 4.8 million people worldwide and 200,000 people in the United States die every year in hospitals from errors that could have been prevented.
Patient safety is the highest priority, and it is preeminent in every decision Mallinckrodt makes. Because of that, these data are what have inspired Mallinckrodt to partner with the Patient Safety Movement Foundation, an organization focused on eliminating preventable deaths within hospitals. The Patient Safety Movement Foundation focuses on several patient risks posed by hospital stays, including Actionable Patient Safety Solutions (APSS) for Neonatal Safety.
Through one attainable goal, with the right people, ideas, and technology, the Patient Safety Movement Foundation believes this can be accomplished.
The Patient Safety Movement Foundation mission is quite simple:
- Unify the healthcare ecosystem
- Identify the challenges that are killing patients and create actionable solutions
- Ask hospitals to implement Actionable Patient Safety Solutions
- Ask healthcare technology companies to share the data their devices are purchased for in order to create a patient data superhighway to help identify at-risk patients
- Promote transparency and aligned incentives
- Promote patient dignity and love
- Educate providers, health professionals in training, patients, and families about patient safety
The changes are working
Already, there have been:
- 4710 hospitals that have committed to ZERO preventable deaths
- 90,146 lives saved annually by these committed hospitals
- 89 healthcare technology companies that have signed the open data pledge
Mallinckrodt is proud to take a stand with the Patient Safety Movement Foundation to help improve patient outcomes. For years, Mallinckrodt has been at the forefront of neonatal safety and looks to continue this commitment through this new partnership that will only strengthen our dedication to delivering patient-centric and innovative approaches to help improve patient safety.