Neonatal Intensive Care Awareness Month is hosted in September of every year, and Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals joins other organizations and individuals in honoring NICU patients, their families and the NICU professionals who care for them.
The month seeks to foster a supportive, empowering community for families when they are faced with life’s most challenging and difficult moments; and honors those who dedicate their lives to helping them. Dozens of employees across Mallinckrodt work in roles supporting customers, babies and their families in the NICU setting.
Neonatal Intensive Care Awareness Month was established in 2014 by Project Sweet Peas, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The organization is run by volunteers, who through personal experience have become passionate about providing support to families of premature or sick infants and to those who have been affected by pregnancy and infant loss.
The hashtag of #NICUAwareness has been designated for use in social media to mark the month. Learn more: www.nicuawareness.org.
Resources for Parents
Mallinckrodt also makes available NICU Parent Education Resources for hospitals, to help NICU team members talk to parents about their newborns’ conditions and treatments. Designed with input from prominent NICU professionals, these tool kits – available online at www.nicu-pet.com – feature:
- Two-sided, one-page handouts addressing common questions about neonatal conditions, with the most recent topics on Blood Transfusions, Feeding Tubes and Hypothermia;
- Parent-friendly text in Q&A format;
- Detailed anatomical drawings where details can be drawn in;
- Glossary defines common words; and
- Notes section to customize parent communication.